2015’s 10 BEST FILMS
01. INSIDE/OUT The smartest movie of the year and a heartbreaker too. When Pixar does it right they sure do it right!
02. ROOM I don’t think of ROOM as a film; I think of it as an experience. It’s everything. It’s about life and it will shred you.
03. BROOKLYN A lovely, lovely film for any one who has ever moved far from home to a new life.
04. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD This is what an action film should be like. The stunts were jaw dropping and Tom Hardy is my idea of a movie hero.
05. THE REVENANT Almost equal parts absurd and astounding. This is the visceral movie experience of the year.
06. BONE TOMAHAWK The Best Western since THE PROPOSITION. Be warned the film is incredibly violent in its final third.
07. WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS The Best Comedy of 2015. I’ve watched it about six times and I still hear something new every time.
08. AMY The film stands as both a tribute to Winehouse and a quality piece of documentary filmmaking.
09. THE HATEFUL EIGHT The Best Tarantino film since the final hour of DEATH PROOF. Also the single most violent film I’ve ever seen.
10. TANGERINE I love the ride on which TANGERINE takes you. They also get the geography right which is rare.
Tom Hardy – LEGEND, MAD MAX, THE REVENANT, LONDON ROAD Hardy is the most consistently interesting actor working today.
Jacob Tremblay – ROOM How does this type of performance happen? Who is this person? Is he really that good?
Brie Larson – ROOM It’s still so early in her career that’s it’s going to be a privilege to see her grow and grow.
Jennifer Jason Lee – THE HATEFUL EIGHT It was nice to have her back even though she winds up looking like Carrie at the end of the prom.
George Miller – MAD MAX: FURRY ROAD George Miller had the hardest film of the year to direct and then he took it to a higher level.
RUNNER-UPS – alphabetical
BEST OF ENEMIES The second funniest film of 2015. I loved Gore Vidal to the day he died. So smart and so funny.
BREATHE (RESPIRE) Europeans always get these teens film so much better than the Americans.
CRIMSON PEAK Lush, Plush and Scary. Chastain proves to be a great villainess.
LISTEN TO ME, MARLON An in depth look at Brando, that makes him more human than ever, straight from the source.
NASTY BABY I live in a Big City. Sometimes it’s wonderful and sometime it’s horrifying. So is NASTY BABY.
QUEEN OF EARTH If you mixed Bergman’s PERSONA and ALTMAN’S 3 WOMEN and remade it as a Horror Film about the Human Psyche.
SALOME (2013 D:Pacino) If you love the Wilde play this version is the best I’ve seen. Such beautiful poetry. Pacino and Chastain are electrifying.
THE WOLFPACK How is this allowed to happen in America? This movie has haunted me deeply.
WORST – alphabetical
BLACK MASS Depp’s wig and the blue contacts made this almost comedic. He looked like an alien.
FIFTY SHADES OF GREY A completely frustrating experience that plays like a simpering parody of itself.
SAN ANDREAS Does a Disaster Film really need to be this stupid? A case of So Dumb/No Fun.
THE D TRAIN While trying to be just the opposite this film turns into a homophobic mess.
THE GREEN INFERNO I call this type of movie “Stupid People Doing Stupid Things.” A waste of time and film.
VACATION One must pray they don’t make another sequel and go to Europe. You can count me out if they do.
BEST TV SHOWS – alphabetical
DOWNTON ABBEY: SEASON 6 (BBC TV)
FARGO: SEASON 2 (F/X)
MAKING A MURDERER (Netflix)
SOUTH PARK: SEASON 16 (Comedy Central)
THE JINX (HBO)